Guidelines for the management of the Association's archives
- The Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) will retain permanently as archives all materials which will provide a comprehensive record of the functions, activities and policies of the Association and items of historical record.
- Records will be selected for permanent retention in accordance with the guidelines set out in the Association's disposal schedules.
- Records relating to the day-to-day running of the Association will be discarded once they have ceased to be current or relevant, unless they meet the above criteria.
- Records created by the ALIA national office and by national sections and national special interest groups will be located in the National Library of Australia.
- To the extent that it is feasible in the light of the nature and location of existing records, those records created by state/territory branches, regional groups and state groups of national sections will be located in appropriate repositories in the relevant states/territories. It will be the responsibility of divisions to negotiate appropriate deposit agreements.
- ALIA national office will continue to retain and maintain comprehensive membership records.
- ALIA national office may keep a reference set of General Council and committee papers in the office.