Coordinator, Information & Access
- A unique opportunity to join one of NSW’s leading cultural institutions
- Competitive remuneration and benefits
- Librarian Grade 4
- Ongoing full time role
About the State Library
The State Library of New South Wales is one of Australia’s oldest and most important public institutions. Collecting actively since 1826, the Library preserves and presents the social, cultural and scientific history of our State and our Nation for the benefit of all. Its rich collections, both physical and digital, alongside partnerships with the public library network across NSW and other vibrant collaborations enable Australians to examine their past and imagine their future. In short, the Library occupies a unique position at the very heart of our civil society.
The Information & Access branch provides information and research services onsite to clients in the Governor Marie Bashir and Mitchell Library Reading Rooms and offsite to clients through the website, Ask a Librarian service and via the public library network. Information activities include providing reference services, research guides and learning programs. Collection related services include access to original, rare or special collections, audio-visual resources, newspapers, and associated equipment. The Branch also provides copying and inter-library loans services to other libraries and individuals.
About the Role
The primary purpose of the role is to lead and coordinate the activities of these specialist teams in the delivery of effective and efficient library and information services which are aligned with the Library’s strategic direction.
- Qualifications acceptable for professional membership of the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), or tertiary qualifications and experience deemed by the State Librarian to be equivalent that meets the minimum standard of skill and knowledge inherent in the ALIA standard.
- Significant knowledge of library and information management concepts, principles and theory as they apply to a large research and reference library as well as a highly developed understanding of the library and information services environment, particularly innovations in technology, quality assurance and client research.
- Significant experience in delivering reference and research services and managing the operations of one or more service teams within a large library.
- Significant leadership experience in delivering information and research services to clients with diverse needs and expectations, and a sound knowledge of the application of relevant standards and legislative requirements within a complex Library environment.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity including the essential requirements and responsibilities of this role please refer to the role description.
To be considered for this role please submit your:
- resume which clearly details your skills and experience as relevant to this role, including referees.
- response to the following pre-screening questions as they form an important part of your application.
- Describe a situation where you implemented a new service or an innovation in staff workflows. Please describe the actions and approach you took to engage and influence adoption of the idea and the outcome of your actions. What were the key challenges and measures of success?
- Please outline how you have worked with and provided support to your direct reports at a current or previous workplace? Include how you provide leadership, performance development and staff coaching for the different staff in those teams?
For questions about the role please contact Philippa Stevens Manager Information & Access on 9273 1448.
Applicants not initially offered a role but have been assessed through the recruitment process as being suitable will be placed in the Talent Pool to fill future ongoing or temporary vacancies as they arise. Placement in the Talent Pool remains valid for 12 months.
The State Library of NSW welcomes applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and people with a disability. If you have individual requirements that need to be accommodated to participate in the selection process and join the State Library team, please indicate this in your application.
Am I eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply you must be either;
- an Australian citizen or
- a permanent resident of Australia, or
- a New Zealand citizen with a current New Zealand passport or
- a citizen of another country with an appropriate visa that allows you to work in Australia for the period of temporary employment or if you are seeking ongoing employment you must hold a permanent visa that allows you to work in Australia.
Appointment to this role is subject to a Criminal Records Check.
Further information that may assist you with applying for this role…
Learn more about the State Library of NSW by visiting our website at http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/.
To find out more and to apply for this vacancy please go to www.iworkfor.nsw.gov.au
and search Job Reference Number 00006M2H.
Closing Date: 22 November 2018 (at 11.59pm)