Libraries and Community Spaces are changing the lives of Wellingtonians every day
Wellington City Council is seeking an experienced leader for our Cataloguing, Acquisitions and Technical Services (CATS) team. The successful candidate will be a part of the Libraries and Community Spaces Leadership Team, and will be responsible for a team of staff as well as strategic portfolio areas within the Libraries and Community Spaces business.
About Libraries and Community Spaces
Libraries and Community Spaces are open for creativity, connection and innovation. Our work is all about people. Every day we touch the lives of thousands of Wellingtonians through our events, spaces, collections and personal interactions.
About the role
We are looking for a strategic, energetic and proactive people leader who understands how changes in society, technology, and education are changing the work that libraries and community spaces do.
The successful candidate will work with our staff and customers to help lead our vision of being open for creativity, connection and innovation.
Specific responsibilities of the role include:
- leading, developing and empowering your team
- developing strategic and operational priorities within the CATS team and the assigned portfolio/s
- owning, planning, implementing and reporting on initiatives and projects
- working with the Library Leadership team to develop strategy, operational priorities and implement projects and work plans
- working closely with the Community and wider Council to ensure that Libraries and Community Spaces are delivering our best service every day to Wellingtonians
- fostering an environment of continuous improvement, innovation and experimentation
- being an active, visible and trusted leader in the organisation.
Wellington City Libraries are currently undergoing a period of considerable change following the closure of the Central Library in March 2019.
As such this role will also have responsibility for:
- responding proactively to changing patterns of collection usage throughout the network
- determining the ongoing strategy for collection development and maintenance in response to a changing operational and strategic environment
- ensuring that collection access is optimised through all channels.
First and foremost, you'll be a great people leader and communicator, with a positive outlook. You'll be skilled at empowering staff and keeping community needs at the heart of our services.
You can move easily between the strategic and the operational aspects of the job, both the short-term operational changes needed, as well as plan for long-term shifts in delivery and strategy.
You'll need to have a flexible approach, be proactive and pragmatic, and be good at creating and maintaining strategic partnerships.
You will hold a relevant tertiary qualification, professional library/information qualification and/or LIANZA professional registration, and will have previous experience in libraries, information, customer service and community fields. Previous management experience in multiple aspects of Collection Management is highly desirable.
Applications close Tuesday, 27 August 2019.
Want to know more?
For more information, contact Laurinda Thomas, Libraries and Community Spaces Manager, Wellington City Council (firstname.lastname@example.org, 027 803 0101).
We're looking for people who share our passion for Wellington and have the same values that we do - to make our city an even better place to live and work.
Click here to apply.