Health Libraries Australia (HLA) are holding their Professional Development Event for 2019 at Monash University, Caulfield Campus, Melbourne on Thursday and Friday the 18th and 19th July. We would like to acknowledge our hosts – Tomas Zahora and his team at Monash University, Caulfield.
This years theme is;
'All about data - what do health librarians need to know in the data driven world of ehealth?'
eHealth and big data are driving massive change in the health sector. Librarians are continually challenged to be ‘data intelligent’ and to extend their skills in the use, visualisation and application of data and to support their clients’ data literacy. Librarian’s working in health science or inside health agencies and organisations are uniquely positioned to support the optimal use of data to support scientific research and the delivery of and improvements in health and medical care for individuals and the community.
This year the PD Day will combine keynote presentations with lightning talks and hands on workshops around the following themes;
- Data science - what does this encompass?
- Research data management - is this a niche role for health librarians?
- Open data, open science, the reproducibility crisis and the future of scholarly publishing - should we champion open access and research rigour?
- Bibliometrics, altmetrics, open access - what do these mean for collection development?
- Data as the new evidence - has the published literature been gazumped?
- Big data, predictive analytics, precision medicine and clinical decision-making - do librarians have a role?
- AI - are there opportunities for librarians in data curation, metadata and linking?
- Digital literacy for consumers and health professionals - are librarians the best health literacy teachers?
- Data visualisation – tools, techniques and the role of the Librarian.
Lightning presentations, we invite you to submit abstracts addressing the above themes in 150 – 300 words using the following format if possible: Background/introduction, objectives, methods, results, conclusions. Presentations will be 10 minutes long incorporating 5 slides or you may wish to use other technologies for your presentation.
Workshops, we invite you to submit workshop proposals, the aim of the workshops is to emphasise and provide hands-on opportunities to develop skills in areas addressing the above themes. Priority will be given to proposals that are creative, topical and offer opportunity for skill development. Workshop proposals must include: Title, description of the topic covered, workshop outcomes, brief biography of the facilitator (name, contact details, affiliation), planned format, duration and details of past presentations of the workshop.
Abstracts and workshop proposals should be sent to Angela Smith, HLA Professional Development Day Convenor at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm (AEST) on Monday 15 April 2019. All abstract and workshop proposals will be reviewed by the conference committee.