The theme for Library Lovers' Day 2020 is ‘Uncover something new’. Library Lovers' Day is an opportunity for library and information professionals to show off their libraries and for people across Australia to show their love for libraries.
Ideas for your communication channels
- Encourage your patrons to spread the #LibraryLoversDay by having a competition for the best social media post using #LibraryLoversDay.
- Change your library’s Facebook or Twitter avatar and/or banner to the avatars and banners available in the resources section below.
- If you're library has a newsletter, consider adding in a story about Library Lovers’ Day using the free resources below and advertise how your library is celebrating.
Ideas for your library
- Check out all the free resources that you can use to celebrate Library Lovers’ Day further down on this page. Resources include posters, bookmarks, social media images, stickers and more.
- We have created printable wrapping paper design and tags which you can use to create a ‘blind date with a book experience’ for their patrons. Simply wrap whatever items from your collection you would like, in the paper and then encourage library users to borrow the items. You can host a competition where users guess what the wrapped book is from clues.
- Host a book themed murder mystery night and see if your users can ‘uncover’ who the criminal is.
- Leave out a labelled box where users can leave a written recommendation of book they've fallen in love with and pick up a new one. You can see the resources for it below.
- Host a scavenger hunt in your library, with clues from popular romance or mystery novels.
- Create a display where users can guess where a romantic or love themed quote comes from, give out chocolate as prizes.
- Host a romance themed trivia night and see how well your users remember romance books and films.
- Create a display using our great Library Lovers’ Day poster and some of your romantic books. Don't forget to share these with us by email to email@example.com or by using #LibraryLoversDay on social media.
- Engage with your users and hand out small bookmarks or chocolates to those who visit during the week. Or leave bookmarks randomly in books across your library as a nice surprise for someone to find.
- You know who your local talent is, invite in some relevant guest speakers to do a talk. Maybe hold a reading with a focus on love or arrange for a romance writer to visit or even host a workshop for romance writers.
- Create a Library Lovers' Day display of romance books. Decorate the display with red flowers, or streamers. Don't forget to share your results on social media using #LibraryLoversDay so we can all see what you've accomplished
- Host a movie night, make up some popcorn and showcase some of the great films you have in your collection.
- Everyone loves a gift, consider creating a Library Lovers’ Day hamper to send out to your local media, politicians, councillors and decision makers in your organisation and community. Tie them up with lots of ribbon for a romantic effect. Accompany them with some information about Library Lovers' Day and information about your library — how many people use it, how often, and how much the library means to them!
- Not all love is romantic, consider creating a display of materials for platonic, familial or love of animals.
- Put up a sign at the circulation desk and let your users know that you’re a ‘matchmaker’ and can help them find the book of their dreams.
- Dress up for the day, and encourage your co-workers to join in. Go one step further and run a costume competition.
- Everyone has a 'book crush', create a display where users can add their favourite book from your collection and share the passion that they have for it with other library users.
- Bookmark singular.
- Bookmark five to a page.
- Book tags.
- Fillable poster.
- Promo banner.
- Recommendations card four to a page.
- Recommendations card singular.
- Recommendations card instructions.
- Social media tile.
- Wrapping paper one, two, three.
Story Box Library resources
Story Box Library has created some free Library Lovers' Day resources:
- We love libraries banner
- We love libraries bookmarks
- Printable posters one and two
- Instagram and Facebook stories