About Library & Information Week
The Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) is pleased to announce that this year Booktopia has partnered with ALIA for Library and Information Week. With Booktopia's help, ALIA plans to deliver the most spectacular Library and Information Week yet.
Library and Information Week, brought to you by Booktopia, aims to raise the profile of libraries and information service professionals in Australia. It gives libraries and information services the opportunity to showcase their resources, facilities, events, contacts and services through different programs and events to the community. This week is your chance to show your skills and your value to the community in a fun way!
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- Find out about the wide range of services that libraries offer.
- Recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education.
- Recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions.
- Debate our information future and the government's approach to it.
- Emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels.
- Recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services.
- Consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work, and personal life.
Find yourself in a library
Library and Information Week, brought to you by Booktopia, is held during the last week of May each year. This year Library and Information Week takes place from 21–27 May 2018. We are excited to announce that the theme for Library and Information Week 2018 is 'Find yourself in a library'.
You can get involved by organising your own event to celebrate the industry or you can join library and information services across Australia.
Monday 21 May – Find yourself in a library — launch day! Now is when you can start activities for your users that run across the entire week.
Tuesday 22 May – National Library and Information Technicians' Day — this day provides the opportunity for library technicians to promote their profession and their role in libraries and to celebrate their many achievements.
Wednesday 23 May – National Simultaneous Storytime — at 11am participants across Australia and New Zealand will sit down and read Hickory Dickory Dash by Tony Wilson and illustrated by Laura Wood. This year we are aiming to break one million participants for the first time.
Thursday 24 May – Libraries celebrate Cancer Council's Biggest Morning Tea — invite your community to a morning tea and help raise money for this important cause.
Friday 25 May – ALIA Day — spread the love and let users and other LIS professionals know the good work that ALIA does, including Library and Information Week!
Check the ALIA events calendar for details of ALIA group events in your local area celebrating Library and Information Week.