The week aims to raise the profile of libraries and information service professionals in Australia and gives libraries and information services the opportunity to showcase their resources, facilities, events, contacts and services through different programs and events to the community. This week is your chance to show your skills and your value to the community in a fun way!
Library and Information Week provides the community with the opportunity to:
- find out about the wide range of services which local public and school libraries offer.
- recognise the vital role which libraries and information services play for research and education.
- recognise the contribution of specialist libraries for the work outcomes in corporations, government departments, hospitals and other institutions.
- debate our information future and government approaches to it.
- emphasise the significance of libraries in the maintenance of our history and culture at community and national levels.
- recognise the importance of library and information services as providers of services for people who may otherwise be disadvantaged by their lack of access to information and services.
- consider the role which libraries play in our local community, work and personal life.