Through the many challenges of 2020, a shining light has been the outpouring of appreciation of the contributions that libraries have made in the community. Library Lovers’ Day is an annual opportunity for people to celebrate the valuable role that libraries play in their lives – and 2021 will be all the more special given the pandemic lockdown. The theme for Library Lovers' Day 2021 is 'Make a date with your library'.
For some libraries, it will be an opportunity to reach out and encourage those in community who may not have visited in a while to return to the library space and reconnect with what they’ve missed. For others, it could be a chance for libraries to share the online collections and services that many of their members have come to love during lockdown. But however they choose to celebrate this occasion, Library Lovers' Day will be a special day for for library and information professionals to connect with their communities, virtually and in-person, and for people across Australia to show their love for libraries.
Ideas for your library (the below ideas can be celebrated in-person or as online events)
- Check out all the free resources that you can use to celebrate Library Lovers’ Day further down on this page.
- Host a book themed murder mystery night and see if your users can ‘uncover’ who the criminal is.
- Create a display where users can guess where a romantic or love themed quote comes from, give out chocolate as prizes.
- Host a romance themed trivia night and see how well your users remember romance books and films.
- You know who your local talent is, invite in some relevant guest speakers to do a talk.
- Create a Library Lovers' Day display of romance books. Decorate the display with red flowers, or streamers. Don't forget to share your results on social media using #LibraryLoversDay so we can all see what you've accomplished.
- Host a movie night, make up some popcorn and showcase some of the great films you have in your collection.
- Not all love is romantic, consider creating a display of materials for platonic, familial or love of animals.
- Put up a sign at the circulation desk and let your users know that you’re a ‘matchmaker’ and can help them find the book of their dreams.
- Dress up for the day, and encourage your co-workers to join in. Go one step further and run a costume competition.
Ideas for your communication channels
- Create an 'online dating profile' for your library, using the template below, and share it online.
- Encourage your patrons to spread the #LibraryLoversDay by having a competition for the best social media post using #LibraryLoversDay.
- Change your library’s Facebook or Twitter avatar and/or banner to the avatars and banners available in the resources section below.
- If you're library has a newsletter, consider adding in a story about Library Lovers’ Day using the free resources below and advertise how your library is celebrating.
- Don't forget to work with your communications team to prepare a media release, and connect decision-makers and stakeholders with messages about what the library means to their constituents.
- Bookmarks five to a page
- Calendar (for library staff)
- Calendar (public facing)
- Promo slide
- Social media tile
- Webpage banner
- "Online dating profile" graphic for your library (Powerpoint)
Check out the last two Library Lovers' Day campaigns