The shortlist for the 2021 Australian Library Design Awards recognises some of the best new library design in Australia. The awards are divided into four categories: School Libraries, Special Libraries, Academic Libraries and Public Libraries. There is also an ALIA Members' Choice award, voted for by Association Members.
‘The high standard of entries and the extensive work being undertaken throughout Australia in different environments on developing innovative and forward-thinking library buildings both as new-builds and renovations is something to be admired,' said Janine Schmidt, judging panel chair.
‘The judging panel were impressed by the wide-ranging community consultation that occurred in various settings to ensure that community expectations were understood and appropriate solutions implemented. The continues high attention to sustainability and reusing building was also a key standout in this year’s submissions.'
- Monmia Primary School Library
- Ormiston College Centre for Learning & Innovation
- G.M. Cujes Library Caulfield Grammar School Wheelers Hill
- The Jerzy Toeplitz Library (Australian Film, Television and Radio School)
- QUT Peter Coaldrake Education Precinct
- St Benedict's Library, University of Notre Dame Australia
- UTS Library
- Green Square Library, City of Sydney
- Hume Global Learning Centre - Sunbury
- Karalee Library Pod
- Marrickville Library and Pavilion
- Payinthi – Prospect Public Library
- Ruth Faulkner Library
- Salisbury Community Hub Library
- State Library Victoria
- Warilla Library, Shellharbour
- Wentworth Point Community Centre and Library
Sponsored by Architecture AU, Raeco, and the State Library of Queensland, these awards celebrate design excellence in new and refurbished libraries across Australia and have been developed in the context of other competitions internationally. A gallery of images featuring the 33 nominees is available on the ALIA website.
The winning libraries will be announced at the 2021 Changing Spaces Library Design Awards Conference, which is part of the Asia-Pacific Architecture Forum, an initiative of Architecture Media and State Library of Queensland.
The conference will be held as a one-day virtual event on 18 March 2021. Bookings for the conference close 17 March 2021.
About the Australian Library and Information Association
The Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) is the professional organisation for the Australian library and information services sector.
With 5,000 members across Australia, we provide the national voice of the profession in the development, promotion and delivery of quality library and information services, through leadership, advocacy and mutual support. www.alia.org.au
For more information about the awards, contact: the ALIA Events team at firstname.lastname@example.org