This year NSS takes place on Wednesday 25 May 2022 at 11:00am and we would love it if you could join us! Everyone can join NSS, it doesn't matter whether you are at home, a school, a public library or even a university library!
Register to participate - (it's free)
On Monday 23 May 2022 we will send you a variety of electronic downloads to support your NSS event. Please note, digital presentations of the book will only be available until Friday 27 May 2022.
National Simultaneous Storytime (NSS) is held annually by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA). Every year a picture book, written and illustrated by an Australian author and illustrator, is read simultaneously in libraries, schools, pre-schools, childcare centres, family homes, bookshops and many other places around the country. Now in its 22nd successful year, it is a colourful, vibrant, fun event that aims to promote the value of reading and literacy, using an Australian children's book that explores age-appropriate themes, and addresses key learning areas of the National Curriculum for Foundation to Year 6.
By facilitating NSS we aim to:
- promote the value of reading and literacy,
- promote the value and fun of books,
- promote an Australian writer and publisher,
- promote storytime activities in libraries and communities around the country,
- and provide opportunities to involve parents, grandparents, the media and others to participate in and enjoy the occasion.
NSS receives positive media coverage, generates a great deal of community interest and is held annually as part of Library and Information Week. 2021 was our biggest and most successful NSS to date with over 1.98 million participants at over 33 thousand locations!
What do we look for in the National Simultaneous Storytime book?
Each year, interested publishers send in possible titles. From a practical perspective, the publisher has to be able and willing to provide copyright release for use of the illustrations, book projection, translation into other languages and performance. The publisher also needs to commit to a special print run of several thousand copies. This narrows down the options. The criteria for choosing from the remaining books include: a positive storyline; appeal to a modern and diverse audience; suitability for read-aloud (language and length); how well the book lends itself to craft and other activities.
Joined again by LIANZA for the fifth year of bringing NSS to our friends in New Zealand.
We (with thanks to John Pyke, Ronojoy Ghosh and Scholastic Australia) have made a number of resources available to support your NSS event. All artworks, downloads and digital presentations are licensed for use only in conjunction with NSS events and activities. Please see the permissions from the publisher below for more information.
| Web graphic
| Book cover
| Email signature
| Social media tile
Activities: PDF of themed children activities
Digital presentations of the book will be emailed to all registered participants on Monday 23 May 2022, please ensure that you register before then to receive all resources. Please note: digital presentations of the book will only be available until Friday 27 May 2022.
Published By: Scholastic Australia
NSS 2022 is made possible by the generous support of our publishing partner Scholastic Australia.
We also thank our official NSS supporters for their help in providing NSS participants amazing resources.
Scholastic Australia and the author Josh Pyke have given the below permissions for NSS 2022.
On all occasions the below permissions will be limited to only the date of the event and to publicity surrounding the event:
- Registered participants may use the provided PDF of the book on whiteboards and/or projection screens.
- Registered participants may present a reader's theatre dramatisation of the book with the condition that the presentation occurs only in connection with the event. The dramatisation may be live streamed and/or downloaded to YouTube or school intranet sites or via podcast.
- Registered participants may present the book as a puppet show with the condition that the presentation occurs only in connection with the event. The dramatisation may be live streamed and/or downloaded to YouTube or school intranet sites or via podcast.
- Registered participants may present the book as a storytelling with the condition that the presentation occurs only in connection with the event. The dramatisation may be live streamed and/or downloaded to YouTube or school intranet sites or via podcast.
- Registered participants may have an interpreter translate and read the book in another language with the condition that the presentation occurs only in connection with the event.
- Registered participants may use an image of the book cover for NSS promotion.
- Registered participants may use the printed or electronic materials provided by ALIA for promotion provided materials are not altered. All promotions should reference ALIA as the event organiser.
- Permission for participating organisations to use the digital presentations of the book provided by ALIA for NSS storytelling.
All permissions and resources apply for the period of Monday 23 May 2022 until and including Friday 27 May 2022 only.
For any other use of the book in conjunction with NSS 2022 please contact ALIA's Events team.