ALIA is a national association with strong international connections, not only with colleagues in our immediate region but with library and information professionals across the world.
ALIA activities with an international flavour include:
- Hosting of the first Asia Pacific Library and Information Conference, 30 July - 2 August, 2018
- Active participation in the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- Our support for the Sustainable Development Goals
- ALIA course accreditation and overseas qualification recognition, including reciprocal recognition with the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) (UK), American Library Association (ALA) and the Library and Information Association of New Zealand Aotearoa (LIANZA).
ALIA International relations Advisory Committee
In 2017, the ALIA Board confirmed the creation of a new Advisory Committee, chaired by Vicki McDonald, and including library leaders from national, state, public and academic libraries and LIS education, to review and promote this work.
- Vicki McDonald, Chair
- Margaret Allen
- Christine Mackenzie
- Roxanne Missingham
- Philip Hider
- Jan Richards
- Janine Schmidt
The ALIA International Affairs Advisory Committee's responsibilities are to:
- Provide advice to the Board on strategic and policy issues relating to international affairs in the library and information sector
- Advocate the benefits of international engagement to ALIA members and the wider profession
- Identify opportunities to partner and collaborate with library associations in the Asia Pacific region
- Identify activities that ALIA can undertake, as a member of IFLA, to support international collaboration
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with and support library and information sector workers in the Asia Pacific region
- Identify opportunities to build the capacity of library associations in the Asia Pacific region
- Increase the awareness and active participation of ALIA members in the international LIS community
- Contribute to discussion papers and submissions to government inquiries
- Undertake other duties as may be required by the Board from time to time
The committee's initial workplan includes:
- Review of ALIA's international affairs policy, last approved in 2009
- Engagement with relevant stakeholders
- Participation in the IFLA Global Vision conversation
Committee updates on international activities
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
L to R: committee member Margaret Allen with Namtip Wipawin and Udaya Cabral at the IFLA Global Vision workshop in Singapore, June 2017